Thursday 23 February 2012

La Musica, Part 1

Now I get asked this a lot of the time, about what my preferred style of music is. In fact, sinceI was a little girl I have fallen n love with many artist, many genres and too many songs.


So I thought I would share with you a little of my musical history and give you an insight into the girl behind the Big Blonde Hair!


1) Childhood Years: Elvis
Now Elvis I remember discovering around the same time I found Marilyn, at 7years old and starting my musical knowledge, I found a cassette of my fathers of Elvis' greatest hits.
Besotted by the beautiful man in the picture on the case I declared my love for him as well as confessing to my emotionally void father that I would one day Marry that man.... To which my father responded "he's dead"
Inconsolable, I cried for about a week, rocking in front of my tape player singing along to those immortal songs, those that I still listen to even today.



2) Pre- Teens: Various.
My love for the 50s and 60s continued into my pre-teen years, smothered with Elvis and Marilyn of course, But I started to introduce other "Marilynettes" such as Madonna (IMMACULATE COLLECTION!!!) to my catalogue.



It was around this time also that I began to dress *differently*...my Mother, ever the keen seamstress loved to make me long floaty skirts, buying me big earrings,  cheesecloth and letting me grow my hair....
Some would say I was *BoHo* before BoHo.
My Father was a big influence on my musical taste and I would spend the evening listening to Bowie, Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, the Doors the Beatles. My favourite at the time (and an alltime personal favourite) being the following:


3) Early Teens: Various


Still BoHo, still a weirdo at school, My father continued to be a big influence on my musical tastes. This was around the time my parents divorced and I found sanctuary in my music, plus is was the one way that I could communicate with my father, and feel like I was at least still related to him. The Days of sitting on his knee listening to records had long gone, but at least I could sit in the car with him and create some new memories. 


Jimi Hendrix was the artist we listened to most of time.
It was in my mid teens that I discovered my now favourite band, Incubus. Surfer rock from California. I would be lying if I said that it wasn't the sight of Brandon Boyd that caught my interest to begin with....But their music changed my life, and when I listen to it as an adult I remember those carefree days of summer, the route to school, the boy I first kissed, dirving through sunflower fields on my birthday, the long walks through the countryside and my first taste of pot. 





to be continued.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment